BCC BT S
    BCC BT M
  • The competition launched to find Yorkshire’s young artists

    Creative development agency, IVE, has launched their annual Young Artists Collection competition with the theme of ‘Yorkshire’ to unlock the region’s creative talent.

    The competition is free to enter and is open to those aged 11-18; entrants are invited to produce an original work of art to reflect the given theme, which will then be shortlisted down to 50 pieces by a panel of judges.

    Shortlisted entrants will be notified in early July and invited to attend an auction where their work will be on display to be purchased by local businesses, with 60 percent of the profits going to the young artist and the remaining 40 per cent funding IVE’s charitable work.

    Rosi Lister, chief executive at IVE, said: “We really think this is a fantastic opportunity for young people; the shortlisted entrants will benefit from a raised profile, along with money in their pocket, and we will also be able to continue our work with young people as a result of the funds this initiative will bring in.”

    IVE funds a variety of projects, working directly with children and young people, to develop their creative potential and artistic skills as well as supporting them with pathways into work, particularly in the creative industries.

    Rosi continued: “Funds raised from the sales of shortlisted artwork may be used to host a creative careers taster day, it could pay for a pastoral or professional mentor to support a disadvantaged young person to gain key work skills, or it could fund a theatre trip for a group of young people to experience and understand the breadth of UK culture available to them.

    “We believe that by providing opportunities such as the Young Artists Collection competition, we can inspire young people to get creative, and also help to ensure disadvantaged young people have to access arts and culture and become better artists.”

    The judging panel includes: Jonathan Straight – street photographer and trustee at IVE, Mat Lazenby – creative director at LazenbyBrown, Amanda Phillips – education officer at Leeds Art Gallery and Leannda Best – photography undergraduate at Leeds University.

    Applicants can respond to the theme in any way they like, as long as this reflects the theme of Yorkshire in a physical art form, and the deadline for entries is 30th May.